Re: canvas colormaps

Trent Piepho (xyzzy@u.washington.edu)
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 10:01:56 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Steve Lamont wrote:
> > Yes, I think this is where my problem lies. xwininfo says my canvas is using
> > the colormap I created, but it isn't installed. Putting the mouse inside the
> > canvas doesn't install it, but it should. This is on fvwm, twm and 4Dwm. I
> > know that the gl demo does cause a colormap switch on the canvas window, so it
> > is possible, xforms just doesn't do it for me.
>
> I agree. This is very strange. I just spent longer than I care to
> admit messing with this and have lost on all fronts. I have no idea
> why this should be happening. The XA_WM_COLORMAP_WINDOWS property
> seems to be properly set but nothing happens. I get a ColormapNotify

Are you sure the XA_WM_COLORMAP_WINDOWS is beging set properly? I managed to
find a program that does what I want, xmag. I hacked up fvwm so it that it
would print out the colormap_windows property when it read it in, for xmag
it would print both the xmag main window and the blow-up window. When I tried
my program, nothing. I used xprop to get a list of properties..

for xmag, this property is set:
WM_COLORMAP_WINDOWS(WINDOW): window id # 0x400002d, 0x4000023

for my xforms programs nothing is set. When I try the xforms GL demo, I get:

WM_COLORMAP_WINDOWS(WINDOW): window id # 0x3c00039
xwininfo: Window id: 0x3c00039 "flcanvas0"

It seems that normal fl_set_canvas_colormap doesn't set window manager
properties. A gl canvas does get listed properly, but the fvwm and twm don't
seem to honor it. fvwm and twm do honor colormap_windows for xmag.

fl_set_canvas_colormap not setting the color_windows property is obviously a
xforms bug. fvwm not switching colormaps for a glcanvas is either a twm/fvwm
bug or an xforms bug. I'm beginning to think it is the window manager. I'll
try setting the property manually for my program. If that doesn't fix it,
then it's probably a window manager bug. I noticed that fvwm recieved a
LeaveNotify event when my mouse _entered_ the canvas. With xmag no events are
generated when entering the fat-bit window with the new colormap.

> I'm totally out of clues at this point. Why this should act in this
> manner is completely beyond me.

Thanks for everyone's help in this. I had no idea I was open such a can of
worms.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun. |
|Trent Piepho (xyzzy@u.washington.edu) -- Metallica |