Re: more on browsers

Carnage (S566@aacci.aacc.cc.md.us)
Sat, 8 Feb 1997 13:39:58 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Steve Lamont wrote:

> > I realize this is nitpicking.. but is it possible to change the _shape_ of
> > the browser? I like Motif browsers (which are emulated by Tk and others).
> > Also, can one control the width of the browser? I use fl_set_object_bw()
> > to make stuff "shallower" but the width of the browser is often too much
> > when I'm making a form.
> I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you mean the scroll bar
> of the browser?

That's probably what he means.

Currently, if you wanna make a Motif-ish scroll bar, you gotta
use a slider and attach two buttons with arrows on 'em at the ends of it.
While it's O.K., it still kinda looks amateurish.

A "real" scroll bar would be a nice thing to add in the next
revision of XForms. And also a horizontal scroll bar. Something like a
scroll bar is so fundamental to GUIs, however, that I don't know why it's
not already in XForms.

I suppose this would be an easy thing to add right now, wouldn't
it? I haven't tried making my own XForms object, but I'm assuming that is
what is involved if I want to make an XForms object with a particular look
and feel (i.e. a Motif-like scroll bar).

Hmmm ... while I'm in the bitching mood :-), is anybody on the
XForms development team considering changing the pull-down menus to make
it more Motif-ish like. i.e., enable to "drag" across a pull-down menu
bar? I'm under the impression that the general consensus is that people
like that style of pull-down menus, instead of the way XForms (and also
other toolkits like Athena) does it now.

Other than those minor details, XForms is still a great package
and even if you guys don't put those things in I'd still think XForms is
awesome.

Arcadio Alivio Sincero, Jr.
Undergraduate Computer Science Major/Linux Enthusiast/Competitive Bodybuilder
email: S566@aacci.aacc.cc.md.us
WWW: /cgi-bin/exit-to?http://www.coming.to.a.web.site.near.you.com

"All extremists should be taken out and shot."