Re: ?updating fields

Frank Stefani (EAD-Frank.Stefani@t-online.de)
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:26:40 +0100

Steve Lamont wrote:

> >Frank Stefani wrote:
> >
> > I built a form with about 15 fields (some input fields, some others).
> > A second form is provided as a "control panel" for the major one.
> > Now I want to add some buttons to this control panel for updating,
> > cleaning, ... the major form. Buttons are labeled "Update", "Clean"
> > and so on.
> >
> > If e.g. pressing "Clean" in the control panel, how can I wipe out
> > all the fields contents of my major form (resetting with default
> > values)?
>
> Other than programmatically doing it from your Clean callback about
> the only way I can think of doing it in one swell foop is to destroy
> the form and create a new one.

I cannot believe this is the only way! Has one really to build a
complete new form if only one tiny field value has to be updated from
outside the form??

Look at the clock widget. It updates all the time without user
action (and without a need to rebuild the whole form of course).

Additionally, there's an "FL_STEP" event which has something
to do with updating without user interaction.

Additionally, there are tons of "fl_..." functions with an
"FL_OBJECT *obj" pointer as the first argument. I don't believe
they are only useful and accessible *before* a call to
"fl_end_form()".

Maybe it's trivial - I'm new to xforms and try to understand
the concepts and use of it. So far I found everything excellent
(including the docs!), but I didn't find a solution for my
update problem yet.

Frank.

      /_____/    /___/     /__ \      EAD-Systeme GmbH
                              \ \     Nachfeldstr. 4