Re: Pixmaps are crashing?!

The Tick (S566@aacci.aacc.cc.md.us)
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 23:57:47 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Steve Lamont wrote:

> What I'd do is to create 23 Pixmaps and commutate between them using
> fl_set_pixmap_pixmap() rather than fl_set_pixmap_data(). That way you
> don't suffer the overhead of having to interpret the Xpm data every
> time.

Ok ... I'll try this. A question 'tho ... what do I use for the
Pixmap *mask parameter of fl_set_pixmap_pixmap()? I'm assuming I need to
use the fl_create_from_pixmapdata() routine also. What do I use for the
int *hotx and int *hoty parameters? The manual I have doesn't say what
they are for.

> I have also suffered unexplained server crashes (actually, the server
> wedges up for about a minute and then dumps me back into xdm) using
> a large number of XForms Pixmap objects (buttons in my case, not being
> commutated -- just a whole slug of them). Since there was never a
> core dump of either the server or the program it was really difficult
> to track down. I finally ended up reducing the number of Pixmaps and

Hmm ... I'm using XFree86 v3.2 on Linux (S3 Trio server), which
is, as you may know, X11R6. I'm sad to say that I've been experiencing
some other problems with this version of XFree86 ... so it's kind of hard
to tell if my programming problem is with XForms or with the server.

And I'd really hate to reduce the number of pixmaps. It's an
animation of the earth rotating on it's axis. (I used xearth to generate
the pixmaps ... I had it render the earth as how it would look at each
hour). It looks pretty cool actually ... if it weren't for the damn
crashing, it'd be perfect :-)! Reducing the pixmaps would make the
animation choppy.

---
Arcadio Alivio Sincero, Jr.
Undergraduate Computer Science Major/Linux Enthusiast/Competitive Bodybuilder
email:  S566@aacci.aacc.cc.md.us
WWW:    /cgi-bin/exit-to?http://www.coming.to.a.web.site.near.you.com

"All extremists should be taken out and shot."

_________________________________________________ To unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe" to xforms-request@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil or see http://bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil/mailserv/xforms.html Xforms Home Page: http://bragg.phys.uwm.edu/xforms List Archive: http://bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil/mailserv/list-archives/xforms-archive/