Re: Animations

Tristan (tristan@creative.net)
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 12:36:36 -0800

Claes Andersson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In a program that I'm writing, I need to show an animation with 600X600 pixmaps.
> The problem is that this is terribly slow and I suspect that it has to do with
> the picture being sent back and forth between the server and the client. I don't
> know what it would be that takes about two seconds in the process else... I'm
> using Xlib calls to display it since the XPM format is tremendously cumbersome
> if you want to display some, you don't know which from time to time, in 24 bits.
>
> Is it possible to do anything to speed this up?

Yes: used shared memory between the client and the X server.
This works if you use Xlib directly (I am not sure that
this can be done through Xforms).

Look at:

XShmQueryExtension()
XShmGetEventBase()
XShmCreateImage()
shmget()
XShmAttach()
XShmPutImage()
XShmDetach()
shmctl()
shmdt()

There are some example of code using those routines
in mpeg_play
(ftp://mm-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/multimedia/mpeg/play/mpeg_play-2.3-patched-src.tar.gz)

--
Regards, -- Tristan Savatier (mailto:tristan@mpegtv.com)

MpegTV website:   /cgi-bin/exit-to?http://www.mpegtv.com
MPEG.ORG website: http://www.mpeg.org