Xforms and French language

Cristian Tibirna (ctibirna@gch.ulaval.ca)
Mon, 5 May 1997 09:26:45 -0400

Alex Rojo writes:

> Hi!
> I'm developing a little program inf french and i have a problem with the
> use of the ^, ` and '.
> Can anybody tell me how can i use them?
>

> ALEX ROJO

Hi

You gave me a bloooooody good homework, as I needed to work (A LOT)
with french text in a program I wrote, but I never twisted my brains
to see how accents may be added.

Hey! Don't be sad, after I saw your question, I figured out a
solution. No, two solutions.

1) If you configure your X machine for work with french keyboard,
you'll have the accents directly available at the moment in fdesign

2) if you don't want to screw up your X config, then follow this
receipt (quite laborious, I think, but it worths the pain):

a) open fdesign; generate your forms disregarding accents; save the
*.fd project; close fdesign (I think you've already done this :-)

b) open the *.fd files in Emacs or XEmacs;

c) issue the Emacs commands:
M-x load-library RET iso-accents RET
M-x iso-accents-mode

d) from now on you'll be able to add accents there where you want. The
documentation in iso-accents.el gives you some tips. Briefly: a '
followed by an e will give you an i. A ^ followed by an U will give
you [.

e) correct at hand the *.fd and put the accents there where you
want. PAY ATTENTION, don't screw up the general format of the .fd
file, because this will turn it unusable.

f) save the *.fd files from Emacs.

g) open again the *.fd in fdesign and voil`!, the mirracle is done!

Hey, have a nice day of trials! If you don't have iso-accents with
your Emacs, I'm sure you'll find it on the *Net.

Friendly, Cristian