Re: Having problem with browsers under Linux

Oliver Freyd (Oliver.Freyd@post.rwth-aachen.de)
Wed, 14 May 1997 20:54:20 +0200 (MET DST)

> Marisa Giancarla <marisa@andromedia.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble with browsers under 0.86.1 and Linux 2.0.29.
> Basically, for each line that I fl_addto_browser() I get the
> line PLUS a blank line. This did not happen in 0.86. I know the lines
> do not have embedded NL characters, nor do they fill the browser
> horizontally (which would make a horiz scroller anyway). It does not
> seem to occur with the NORMAL_BROWSER type, only the ones where the
> user can click on a line.

Hi Marisa,

I've read your thread since some time and now the same thing happened
to me when I downloaded the new version of peruser, a simple offline newsreader.
It uses xforms 0.86 and showed all articles with an extra empty line.

So I tried out the browser object with the demo program "browserop.c", which
worked fine. But when I added a return character to each line that is added to
the browser, the extra line appears. If you recompile with xforms 0.81,
this behaviour disappears. So I walked through the code of peruser with xxgdb
and stripped the return chars before doing fl_add_browser_line() (or
fl_addto_browser() ).

I hope this will help you out. Just try using a debugger and have a look at the
,strings you are passing. I'm quite a newcomer to Linux and it helps me a lot to
find bugs and to understand code written by other people.

Good luck,

Oliver

E-Mail: Oliver Freyd <Oliver.Freyd@post.rwth-aachen.de>