Re: XForms: Forking Behaviour

Steven Ness (sness@poirot.mmid.ualberta.ca)
Tue, 20 May 1997 15:07:02 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 20 May 1997, Steve Lamont wrote:

> > I'm currently migrating a program from 0.84 to 0.86.1 and I'm noticing
> > some strange behaviour after I fork off a child process.
>
> Try executing the fork() prior to starting up XForms. This way only
> one process has control of the file descriptor talking to the X
> server. Remember, the child process gets copies of the parent's file
> descriptors and X will no doubt get very confused in this situation.

Is there a way to close this file descriptor in a child process? The
child processes I'm starting don't need to have any access to graphics at
all, but *do* need to be started after the fl_initialize routine is
called.

Is some permutation on

close (ConnectionNumber(XtDisplay(widget)));

what I want to be happening? If so, how do I get the ConnectionNumber
for the XForms windows?

Steven.