Re: XForms: Compile DESIGNER output files?

John Culleton (john@ccpl.carr.lib.md.us)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:41:03 -0400

Steve Lamont wrote:

> What is the statement, exactly?

I solved the compiling problem by using
gcc foo_main.c foo_cb.c foo.c (etc)
Not as elegant as your solution but it did ensure that "main" was
compiled as the main program.
The error was because the program couldn't find someting in one of the
other pieces fo source code. Since there are no "extern" statements
compiling each module separately failed.

For the record, the error message was "parse error before int on line
(whatever)
The line in question was
fl_set_object_callback(obj, name_callback, int name_arg);

The compiler couldn't find name_callback because it was in another piece
of code. Effectively it was an unresolved reference although the
compiler gave me a parse error.

In my view the designer should either emit all the code as one file or
else the manual should offer some advice on the compilation step. I am
more used to compiling each module separately and then linking at the
end. Most Makefiles follow this philosophy.

I'll know better next time. Thanks for your help.

John Culleton
misplaced COBOL Programmer
john@ccpl.carr.lib.md.us