Re: XForms: another menu bug, I think...I

Tristan Savatier (tristan@mpegtv.com)
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 21:58:01 -0700

Dr. T.C. Zhao wrote:

> from Tristan Savatier <tristan@mpegtv.com> :
>
> >mouse pointer over the menu (without releasing
> >the mouse button) for a period of more than 20 seconds,
> >then all of a sudden the menu will close itself!
>
> >This is of course a bug. I just felt victim of that
> >IMHO Xforms should never close a menu while
> >the user is "dragging" the mouse pointer over
>
> Would 60 seconds be considered a bug ? I think
> it is necessary for xforms to close the popup
> if it finds the popup has been opened way too long.
> The reason is that popup grabs both the mouse
> and keyboard, a necessary but dangerous thing to do,
> and too long a time might indicate a pseudo lockup
> situation. Whether 20s is enough is debatable, but this
> feature is not. I'll consider making the period
> longer, say, 40s or 60s.

I don't have a major problem with Xforms closing
the menu.

My problem is Xform telling the application that
I made a menu selection, after it closes the menu
under me! Sorry, but I did NOT make a selection
in that case.

If Xforms closes the menu before I make a selection,
then no menu selection should occur when I release
the mouse button (after the menu has been closed by
Xforms).

I hope you understand what I am trying to explain...

By the way, I tried with Motif: It does not close
the menus while I am dragging, no matter for how long.
I think that as long as the mouse button is down and
the mouse pointer is moving, there is no reason for Xforms
to close the menu. Could this situation happen and create
a lockup ?

--Tristan