Re: XForms: Canvas in 0.87

Dr. T.C. Zhao (zhao@bragg.phys.uwm.edu)
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 23:50:03 -0500

id AA04384; Wed, 13 Aug 1997 14:01:25 -0400
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 97 11:00:22 PDT
From: spl@szechuan.ucsd.edu (Steve Lamont)
To: xforms@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil
Subject: Re: XForms: Printing of xyplots?
Sender: owner-xforms@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil

> My favorite solution would have been something integrated into Xforms,
> as this package seems to be very well supported (Thanks to all of you)
> and I would like to minimize my dependency on as few packages as
> possible.

I'm not sure that I'd be in favor of adding this PostScript facility
to XForms. While I understand and sympathize with the desire to
minimize the number of non-standard libraries one must port from
location to location, I don't think that XForms is the right place for
a PostScript plot package. These things get quite hairy quite quickly
(consider the calls for change and bug reports for the XYPlot object
itself) and I, for one, would rather have the GUI aspects of XForms
perfected rather than adding new and probably, to start with, buggy
plotting functionality.

At absolute worst, one might consider adding a "dump PostScript"
feature to XForms in the form of a screen capture. Even then, I
propose this with trepidation, since dumping forms in PostScript leads
to requests for dumping them in TIFF, PGM, and who knows what favorite
format.

spl