Re: XForms: X Selections & xforms

Robert S. Mallozzi (mallors@crazyhorse.msfc.nasa.gov)
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 15:44:51 -0500 (CDT)

On 17 Aug, Dr. T.C. Zhao wrote:

> To me, a clipboard is or can be viewed as something that different
> applications use to transfer data, not something that is
> named CLIPBOARD no one uses. No practical applications (xterm and its
> derivatives, which pretty is the entire CLI of X,
> netscape and you name it) actually uses CLIPBOARD. So anything written
> specically for CLIPBOARD actually will not be able to exchange
> data with other applicaitons.

Of course you are right, clipboard is a tool we use to transfer data,
not just something called CLIPBOARD. Nevertheless, X protocol defines
some build-in property types using specific names like XA_PRIMARY, etc.
Although CLIPBOARD is not built-in, it is conventional to use
this selection to hold deleted data. I see no reason why xforms should
mix the names set out by the X protocol, using the word clipboard when
it is actually using the predefined XA_PRIMARY.

Anyway, I think maybe I am being a little bit picky; please do not take
this message the wrong way - I am glad that Selections have been
implemented - just my $0.02.

> If you're only interested in exchange data from one part of your program
> to other parts, which your code appears to do (not handling
> the possibility of some other application wants the CLIPBOARD)
> I am not sure if selection is the most efficeint thing to to use.

I handled the SelectionRequest event under FL_OTHER. Am I missing
something?

-bob

--
Dr. Robert S. Mallozzi
University of Alabama in Huntsville

_________________________________________________ To unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe" to xforms-request@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil or see http://bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil/mailserv/xforms.html Xforms Home Page: http://bragg.phys.uwm.edu/xforms List Archive: http://bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil/mailserv/list-archives/