Re: XForms: Can't link my programs.

Steve Lamont (spl@szechuan.ucsd.edu)
Fri, 26 Sep 97 06:22:00 PDT

>From Silvio Lange <silange@sunpool.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De (Silvio Lange)> :

> Daniel Blvmer writes:
> > Did You add the -lforms in the linker parameters?
> I think you should add -lxforms instead.
>
> > If You have did this, You should add -I/usr/lib.
> > If this still doesn't work, I don't know...
> But I know :). -I is for the Include-Directory. For the
> Library-Directory you must take -L/usr/lib.

I don't think this is the problem. /usr/lib should be searched
automagically unless you've done something specific to stop it. If
you've installed in /usr/local/lib then some compilers will not
instruct the linker/loader to search there without being specifically
told. However, `gcc' does. If you've installed in some completely
nonstandard place (/usr/local/foobar/forms, for instance) you *do*
have to specifically point the linker at the library no matter which
linker or compiler you're running.

If you're running `gcc', use the `-v' option to get it to print out in
detail what it's doing. This may be helpful.

However, I suspect that this is a Linux problem (I'm guessing that's
what the original poster was running). There is more than one flavor
of Linux object format (a.out [whatever the heck that is], ELF,
COFF[?]) and they're not interchangable. If you have downloaded and
installed the wrong one, you get messages of the sort described by the
original poster even if you have everything in the Standard Places and
your link step command line is perfect.

spl