Re: XForms: Install problems with XForms... :(

Tomi Yli-Nokari (kymi@sip.fi)
Tue, 07 Oct 1997 08:00:16 +0300

Steve Lamont wrote:

> > I have install problems with XForms. I have used 'make install' and
> > then, started to test DEMOS. They didn't work (error was something like
> > -lXpm isn't correct), ...
> The *exact* error message is always helpful.

I think, that error message isn't so important, but I can catch
it:/usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: cannot open -lXpm: No such file or directory

> It is always helpful, if not mandatory, to specify the hardware and OS
> on which you're running and the versions of XForms, X, and the
> operating system.

Pentium 75 with 40 megs memory and 4,5 gigs hd. OS is Linux Slackware. XForms'
version is now aout/086. X is Slackware's default X.

> > ... I got
> > errors about XForm's functions ('undefined reference to
> > 'fl_<whatever>''), and nobody knows answer for that.
> Is there perhaps another forms library on your system? On some
> systems there is a libforms.a which has nothing to do with XForms

Shouldn't be. In this install, I haven't tried other forms.

> (it's part of the Curses library). If you're running Linux, you may
> have the wrong flavor of the XForms library -- there are several
> different flavors of Linux and they're not object format compatible.

Ok, then must test that other version...