Re: XForms: problem...

Aaron D Gaudio (adg1653@cs.rit.edu)
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 13:54:31 -0500 (EST)

In a fit of insane delusion, Miguel Monteiro de Sousa Frade penned these =
words of wit:

if you are connecting through a relatively low speed connection
(such as a modem), be forewarned that, not only will your program
take forever to appear and then interact very slowly, but xforms
in particular has a nasty habit of continuously redrawing the
windows it manages. i've noticed this behavior in XWin32 version
4 (with or without lbxproxy). it doesn't seem to happen with
pixmaps (i.e. if you have a pixmap filling up the entire background).
the best way i've found around it is to run the program with
double buffering enabled. i don't think this is a server bug in
XWin 32 unless xforms is doing something unusual, because other
X clients (such as NEdit, which uses Motif) don't have this problem.

in a high-speed environment, this redrawing is probably happening
fast enough that you don't notice it. but believe me, if you
are connected at 28.8k, you'll notice it. : )

i am curious though if this is usual that xforms does this because
it seems to me that to constantly redraw the screen even when not
receiving redraw events hinders the efficiency of the application.
if it's not usual i wonder what is causing it then

rana_Chambre_de_S=3DE1_Moita?=3D <cristina.durana@iie.min-edu.pt> :
> >=20
> > Hi!!!!
> > I have a problem: I need to know if I can run xforms in my machine
> > without have to install the Linux in it; although I don't have instal=
led
> > the Linux in my machine, of course I can access to it in a server, wi=
th
> > a telnet window.
>=20
>=20
> Hi, Cristina
> you probably work on some kind of windows (win95 or NT) if that is case
> instead of running a telnet you should try X-win32, (take a look at
> www.starnet.com). This program runs a Xwindows session on your PC and y=
ou
> can use Xforms.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> >=20
> > Thanks
> > Cristina
> >=20
>=20

--=20

| Aaron Gaudio mailto:icy_manipulator@mindless.com |
| http://www.rit.edu/~adg1653/ |
| "The fool finds ignorance all around him. |
| The wise man finds ignorance within." |