Re: XForms: SunOS 4.1.4 Undefined symbol _ceil

vsexton (vsexton@sirinet.net)
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 19:04:35 -0500

Colin Yuile wrote:

> Whenever I try to run any of the demo programs I get the error
> Undefined symbol _ceil.
> I have checked my LD_LIBRARY_PATH to make sure that the maths library
> is included, and -lm is in the makefile for the demos.
>
> The version I am using is the SunOS version bxform-088.tgz
>
> I'm sure that I am missing something obvious, and any help would
> be greatly appreciated.

I ran into a similar problem on a SunOS with the same version of
XForms. I have been trying to remember exactly what I did. For one thing,
check the permissions on the libforms.a and/or libforms.so, and that they are
in a standard place (you may even have to set the LD_RUN_PATH as well as the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH if they are not in a standard place, such as /usr/lib).
Since it compiles ok (right? no error messages then?), it is probably the
LD_RUN_PATH. Check the path it is looking for it at by using ldd on your
executable (e.g. ldd a.out). Let me know if you still are having problems,
I have some other ideas, but I need to get to the Sun I work on to check them
out. The suggestions about library ordering in your makefile will not likely
help in your case, since it is an error at run-time. Basically, what is
happening is that one of your dynamic libraries is not being found, and you
need to determine why.

I hope this helps.
Veronica