Re: XForms: glibc

Eef Hartman (E.J.M.Hartman@math.tudelft.nl)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:22:33 +0200 (METDST)

In a message to me Stefano Incontri wrote:
> What exactly is the difference between the glibc version of Xforms and
> the normal libc?
> It's only the version of the c library?

Routines have been rewritten to NOT use any static or otherwise non-
re-entrant storage, so that all routines can be used in a multi-threaded
(multiple, paralel executing streams within one program) program without
"screwing up" the data of another stream. This means that some calling
conventions had to be changed, especially those that return pointers to
internal data structures, because those have to be static (automatic
variables are deallocated at return) or "malloc'd".

It probably also uses a newer POSIX standard for the library, but I'm not
sure about that. Anyway, programs written for the older library sometimes
have to be recoded and anyway they have to be reCOMPILED to use glibc.

--