Re: XForms: XFORMS: Again on statical compilation

Vicentini Emanuele (vicentin@arena.sci.univr.it)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 09:39:53 +0200 (MET DST)

First of all I must beg your pardom for my own stupidity.

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Eef Hartman wrote:

> A) the order is wrong of the libraries: forms USES X11 and m, so should be
> before them on the command line: -lforms -lX11 -lm
Yeah, now that I put Xforms library into the right place
everything work well.

> Entries in X11, aren't searched anymore as the "X11 processing" has already
> been done when "-lforms" is done (and "forms" asks for them, so X11 has always
> to be after forms). For dynamic (.so) libraries the order is much less
> critical as the real binding is done RUN-time, not link time, but static
> linked programs really need to find all the routines NOW.
> And thus the libraries DO need to be specified in the right order.
Thanks for the explanation. I usually compile with a dynamic
linking and I don't care too much with the order, but now I know I was
wrong. Thanks!

Emanuele.