XForms: Queued X event handling

From: Hugh Gibson (hugh@mrao.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 16:20:53 EDT

    Hi Xformers,
       Quick mini-snag which someone may have helpful advice about...

    I'm using a standard timer with which resets itself at the end of its
    own call-back, therefore re-triggering itself (a 'heartbeat').

    This works beautifully, except when there is a lot of other stuff
    happening grabbing CPU time, then the timer starts piling up
    call-backs, which all get serviced in a rush when there is a gap in
    the processing time.

    I can't seem to lengthen the timer easily when I know this will
    happen, and I'm not certain how best to use the X-event queue
    manipulation stuff.
    Temporarily disabling the timer outside the 'hearbeat' callback also
    seems also pretty hard (perhaps I've answered my own question.. use a
    global to signify what should happen to the timer delay in the
    heatbeat callback?)

    Any advice gratefully received,
        Thanks, Hugh Gibson