XForms: Request for help using XForms for Win32

From: J. Czaplicki (cgeorge@ipbs.fr)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 09:36:22 EDT

    Greetings everyone,

    I have been using XForms on an SGI workstation for a long time now. I find
    it an excellent software package. So far, I haven’t had any major problems.
    As for the minor ones, this Forum is a great source of information.

    Recently, I have been asked to port one of my Unix applications to the PC
    platform. That’s when my problems started. And that’s why I would like to
    ask for your help now.

    I figured that instead of rewriting thousands of lines of code, it is a
    better idea to install XForms on a PC and recompile the whole program. I
    got myself the newest Win32 version of the XForms library (v88.1), along
    with the X11 stuff and the X-Win32v5 server. On the side of the PC, I have
    Win9x and Visual C++.

    To make a long story short: the demos generally compile, but some won't
    link. Here are typical examples of the error output:

    - in boxtype.c: unresolved symbol _fl_vmode
    - in canvas.c: unresolved symbols _fl_display, _fl_state, _fl_vmode
    - in freedraw.c: unresolved symbols _fl_state, _fl_vmode

    All these symbols appear in the forms.h file, but somehow there is still
    something missing there.

    If a demo compiles and links, the code seems to work in most cases. But for
    demo.exe I got: 'spawn failed’ error on the console…

    Has anyone had similar experience? Is this a problem of the server, the
    code, or the Windows ? Last but not least, what to do next?

    I know that Windows is by no means a favorite platform here (and I
    understand it perfectly). Nevertheless, I would appreciate some hints from
    those who have already solved this problem. Thank you very much in advance
    for your input.

    Jerzy.

      Pr. Jerzy Czaplicki
      Université Paul Sabatier
      Institute de Pharmacologie et de Biologie Structurale CNRS
      205, route de Narbonne
      31077 Toulouse
      France

      Tél./Fax/Rép.: +33 (0)5 61 17 54 04