Re: FTP server down (was Re: XForms: v0.89.6)

From: Steve Lamont (spl@blinky.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 12:30:18 EDT

    > > Finally what are the mirror sites which are considered as "good"? I am
    > > not able to contact ncmir.ucsd.edu.
    >
    > We're experiencing some hardware problems that seemed to have cropped
    > up overnight. Right now one of our servers, which happens to maintain
    > the access control for FTP, is down, awaiting the arrival of a service
    > engineer.

    The FTP server at `ncmir.ucsd.edu' is back up and running. The
    uncooperative server decided, for reasons of its own, to cooperate
    again. The ways of servers are sometimes more inscrutable than the
    mysteries of FL_CANVAS. :-)

    Sorry for the interruption in service.

    BTW, on that note, NCMIR (The National Center for Microscopy and
    Imaging Research <http://ncmir.ucsd.edu>), whence this message
    originates, will experience some major changes in our computing and
    lab environments over the next few months, including adding new
    servers and upgrading our network connectivity.

    In fact, my group be moving into an entirely new lab facility which is
    in the latter stages of construction as I write this (the sounds of
    Sawzalls, Ramsets, and drywall screw guns ring in my ears as I go home
    every night).

    During this move there may be some FTP service interruptions as we
    switch over to new networking hardware, etc. I hope that they'll be
    of short duration but you never know. Whatever our mirror site
    partners can do to make sure that they're always current will be
    appreciated and should make the transition go smoothly.

    Since the schedule is dependent on completion of building renovations
    and arrival of hardware, I don't have a schedule yet. I'll certainly
    try to provide adequate advance notice whenever possible.

                                                            spl

    Steve Lamont
    Director of Graphics and Imaging
    National Center for Microscopy and Imaging Research
    University of California, San Diego
    La Jolla, CA

    http://ncmir.ucsd.edu/