Re: XForms: Error Opening displays

From: Steve Lamont (spl@ncmir.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 09:29:56 EDT

    > With RedHat 6.1, I get the following error when trying to start up a xforms
    > application. And idea why? Thanks in adavnce?
    >
    > [hatchpqa@portpqa bin]$ ./um &
    > [1] 20063
    > [hatchpqa@portpqa bin]$ ./um: Can't open display
    > Missing or failed fl_initialize()

    Two possibilities come to mind -- both of them pretty basic.

    First, you didn't call fl_initialize().

    Second, your `DISPLAY' environment variable isn't set or is set
    incorrectly.

    Do the demos run? Does `fdesign'? If so, then the second possibility
    is unlikely, so you should check your code to determine whether
    fl_initialize() is being called before any other XForms (or X)
    function call.

    If the demos and `fdesign' don't run either, then it's probably your
    DISPLAY variable that's botched. Type

            echo $DISPLAY

    If you either get an error message or the wrong host, then that needs
    to be fixed in the standard manner.

    > NOTICE - This message is the property of HATCH. It may also be confidential
    > and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this message
    > you are hereby notified that you must not disseminate, copy or take any
    > action with respect to it. If you have received this message in error
    > please notify HATCH immediately via mailto:MailAdmin@hatch.ca.

    NOTICE - this mess is the property of spl. It may also be confusing
    and/or sarcastic. If you are the intended recipient of this message,
    you are hereby notified that you must hop on paint yourself blue, hop
    on one foot, and yell "I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE AND I BRING YOU FIRE"
    while doing the Macarena for the rest of the day. If you have
    received this message, please watch reruns of STARSKY AND HUTCH
    immediately while sending smoke signals to smoketo:yomama@yoyo.ma.

    Wha-tump-tump.

    [sorry -- those silly things posted to an open mailing list make my
    toes curl -- spl]

                                                            spl