XForms: XYPlot reports back wrong cursor position.

From: Bill Unruh (unruh@physics.ubc.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 16:13:34 EST

    I am having problems with the XYPlot window in not reporting the mouse
    cursor back properly. The position reported back seems to be (
    variably) 0-15 pixels to the left of where the cursor actually is.

    The program can be obtained from
    www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/synth.html
    which is a simply Fourier analyser. The program displays the input from
    the recording in an xyplot window in a 1024 element plot. Once the
    recording it made, you can click on the recording to delimit an area,
    and I produce a red vertical via an overlay at the point reported
    backfrom the program.

    Thus, I plot the graph ( x=0..1023 by integer values, and y is an array
    of points)
    fl_set_xyplot_data(ui->xyplotgr,x,y,NMAX,"","","");
    x and y here are arrays of floats of lenth NMAX=1024.

    I get the cursor click postition via
    fl_get_xyplot(ui->xyplotgr, &x, &y, &i);
    Where here x and y are single float variables.

    I then plot the locations of these points with

           fl_set_xyplot_overlay_type(ui->xyplotgr,1,FL_IMPULSE_XYPLOT);
                   fl_add_xyplot_overlay(ui->xyplotgr,1,xo,yo,npts,FL_RED);

    Where x0 and y0 are the points read above, npts=1.
    And the location plotted is displaced to the left.

    The results are variable. Sometimes the plot is dead on, and sometimes
     over 5 poxels to the left. If I plot a grid, and place the cursor right
     on the grid lines, It will report back that the location is to the left
     of the grid lines. (eg placing a grid line at 200 (full graph is 0 to
     1024) I will get a report back of an x value of say 192 for the tip of
     the mouse arrow ( and the crosshairs of the x when the button is
     pushed) which was placed exactly on the 200 grid line).

     Mandrake 6.1, XFree 3.3.5, xforms .089
     and Mandrake 7.1 XFree 3.3.6 xforms .89
     Both display the same thing.

     Note that this is not consistant. On some plots and on some areas
     withing the plot the cursor report seems to much closer to correct than
     on others. It almost seems that it depends on the rate of change of the
     y points just at or near the cursor postion.

    --
    William G. Unruh	Canadian Institute for		Tel: +1(604)822-3273
    Physics&Astronomy	   Advanced Research		Fax: +1(604)822-5324