Re: XForms: Problem noifying end of input.

From: Rob Fletcher (rpf1@york.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 06:49:19 EST

    On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Ivan Powis wrote:

    > > Dick Middleton wrote:
    > >
    > > > There's no difference in concept between tab, cr and mousing somewhere else.
    > > > They all change the input focus. Problem is mousing somewhere else doesn't
    > > > always.
    > >
    > > WRONG! Of course there is a difference. CR & TAB are line terminators.
    >
    > This of course why xforms provides a return button which can be activated
    > by either a mouse click or by hitting return, and why it supports shortcuts,
    > again permitting objects to be activated by either mouse or keyboard ??
    >
    > The mouse and keyboard are simple alternate user input devices, and the
    > application developer should be able to support a natural intuitive means
    > of using both.
    >
    > TAB is a line terminator ? - no it means advance..
    <snip>

    Just to enter the fray ... I am forever getting hit by the damned
    login to my PC coz I always hit return to terminate my username
    before entering the p/w ... perhaps we should get stickers for people
    to put on their TAB keys which say "Enter" ???

    I agree, TAB in forms means advance. What happens when you advance
    to another field should be up to the programmer to decide based on
    his careful (ho ho!) research on the user behaviour of his forms
    interface. I guess in the end people will ALWAYS be confused by the
    way forms input works.

    So long as XFORMS provides the means to tailor the forms input beahviour
    to that prescribed by the designer, then all should be well. Then we can
    leave the arguments about GUI and best practice and so on to a completely
    different forum (please!).

    If there are specific items missing in the API then this is what we
    should be airing here and then TC can comment on the applicability and
    ease of integration into the XFORMS API ...

    All the best,

    Rob.

    | Dr R P Fletcher (Rob) | Email R.Fletcher@york.ac.uk |
    | Graphics Coordinator | Phone +44 (0)1904 433816 |
    | Computing Service | Frontdesk +44 (0)1904 433800 |
    | University of York | Fax +44 (0)1904 433740 |
    | YORK YO10 5DD, UK | ICQ UIN 4019164 |