Re: XForms: Why xforms?

From: Robert Williams (bob@bob.usuhs.mil)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 11:32:12 EST

    You want to choose the right tool for the job.
    For example, if you need to process text,
    nothing really comes close to Perl. You wouldn't
    want to use Java or XForms for that,
    unless you need a GUI for your text processor.
    Either Java or XForms can do that job,
    and the deciding factor may come down to what
    language you know.

    Zaphod wrote:

    > Why should one choose to use the xforms library as opposed to something like
    > say java.

    Java is good, but still not nearly as fast as C, C++,
    and other compiled languages supported by XForms.
    If you have a body of existing code (It could be Fortran)
    you need to wrap in a GUI, XForms is a better choice
    than Java.

    > This question arose after I encountered a few java scripts that plotted nice
    > graphics in
    > a pane and there were buttons and data entry possibilities like I know
    > xforms offers.

    Javascript is not Java, is very slow, only runs in a web browser...
    and some browser vendors (MS) do not conform to the Javascript standard,
    so your code may not work on one browser or another.

    > Cons:
    > 0) java is licenced / not free?

    Free

    > And since the code is not compiled it is
    > always available
    > to the public. But I'm not sure about both of these.

    It is often "pre-compiled" into *.class files that
    are not available to the public.

    Bob Williams