XForms: Problem using glcanvas on Win2000 and xforms

From: Doanna M. Weissgerber (doanna@soe.ucsc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 13:08:22 EDT

    Hello,
    I need a help!

    I have used Forms extensively on a UNIX system. However, I currently
    MUST use Win2000 for my research. (Long story)

    I am having problems getting forms and gl to work together with my Win2000
    system. I have a large body of code which uses the glcanvas.
    However I can't even get the test program gl.c to work in my current
    environment.

    I would eventually like to use an x-server that works, with a C++
    compiler (preferably gcc), and the xforms library.

    I've tried using two different X-servers - WinAxe v6.0 and X-win32 5.1
    (starnet) Both support most of the forms DEMOS. Both work with the basic
    GL demos.

    I'm using the newest bash shell cygwin v1.1
    I'm using the newest xforms library bxform-089

    ERROR MESSAGES
    ***Running WinAxe v6.0, cygwin bash, and linking to xforms bxform-089.***

    $ gl.exe -display localhost:0.0
    GLCanvas: Can't get visual
    In CanvasInit [canvas.c 248] Unable to initialize canvas
    X Error of failed request: GLXBadDrawable
      Major opcode of failed request: 129 (GLX)
      Minor opcode of failed request: 11 (X_GLXSwapBuffers)
      Serial number of failed request: 291

    *** Running X-win32 5.1 , cygwin bash, and linking to xforms bxform-089.***
    $ gl.exe -display localhost:0.0
    GLCanvas: OpenGL not supported
    In CanvasInit [canvas.c 248] Unable to initialize canvas
    GLCanvas: OpenGL not supported
    In CanvasInit [canvas.c 248] Unable to initialize canvas
    Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display "localhost:0.0".
    Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display "localhost:0.0".
    Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display "localhost:0.0".
            XLlib error (repeated multiple times)

    This is the most worrisome error. Is OpenGL supported in a glcanvas
    on the latest version of xforms which runs on Win2000?

    I am open to using any other xserver, re-archiving libraries, loading
    new shell environments etc. I just need this to work (or my advisor
    may disown me!) Please help!

    thanks for any and all suggestions,
    -doanna weissgerber