XForms: Using forms.h from 0.89.5 with library binaries from 0.89.0

From: Peter S Galbraith (GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 12:37:29 EDT

    I just noticed a packaging error (on my part) in the Debian
    packages of XForms for non-i386 arches.

    Debian binary packages are usually built on each arch by
    compiling common sources and moving the binaries into place in
    the packages. Since XForms doesn't have released source code, I
    made the Debian binary packaging by copying the pre-compiled
    binaries into place. I just noticed that while each arch used
    it's own libforms.a and libforms.so files (which vary in version
    number from 0.89.0 to 0.89.5), my script copied forms.h from the
    i386 tree (version 0.89.5) for all arches. The non-i386 Debian
    packages of libforms-dev and libforms0.88-dev have forms.h header
    files that may not match the library minor version.

    I'll fix the XForms packages in Debian before the next stable
    release (of woody). But how much trouble do you think this might
    cause?

    Do you think I should file bugs against _all_ packages built
    against the library as a pre-emptive measure? Or if no-one have
    filed bugs yet, perhaps there's no problem?

    (Note that this implies lost of work unfortunately. Getting
    Debian packages that depend on XForms built for non-i386 arches
    is difficult because of the non-free nature of XForms. The
    Debian auto-builders don't process non-free packages so that
    maintainers must do it themselves. That's difficult because we
    then need the Debian system admins of the non-i386 machines to
    install the libforms-dev package and many of them don't want to.
    :-( )

    Thanks (and sorry for my big mistake!)

    Peter