Re: XForms: Setting the include directories, and other minutae

From: Reed Riddle (drriddle@qwest.net)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 15:55:29 EST

Hello all,

> You do this through a compiler flag:
>
> gcc -I/usr/X11R6/include ...

Yes, I remembered that this morning...that's what I get for playing
with this late at night. :) All the programming I have done has
been pretty simple, so I'm not used to all the switches and making
Imakefiles. Speaking of which.....

I went back through all the things I had to do to ge this to work,
but the changes I made were all to the makefiles; I don't see
anything in the Imakefile that matches up with the things I had to do
to make everything compile properly. There isn't a lot...so I'm
just going to post it here. You can ignore the rest of the message
if it's not helpful. ;)

Dubious Mac OS X installation instructions:

1. You must have the X11 layer installed (XFree86 4.2 is the most
recent version), and XDarwin (in order to run anything). Go to
www.osxgnu.org to get this.
2. You have to install the JPEG libraries if you don't already have
them. Go to http://www.withay.com/macosx/ and download them. I
haven't tried any of the graphics routines yet, but this at least
allows it to compile.
3. Make sure that your directory tree doesn't have a space in it;
the compiler can't find things otherwise.
4. Ok, you'll need to make these changes to makefiles:

lib/makefile: line 899
     remove this:
         -current_version $(XFORMSLIBREV) -compatibility_version
$(XFORMSLIBREV)

lib/makefile: line 847
     add this:
         REQUIREDLIBS = -lc -ljpeg -lX11 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm -lGL

fdesign/makefile: line 841
     you have to change the definitions of STATIC and UNSTATIC to
nothing.
         STATIC = (from -Xlinker -Bstatic)
         UNSTATIC = (from -Xlinker -Bdynamic)

fd2ps/makefile: line 859
     same as for fdesign/makefile

demos/makefile: line 848
     same as for fdesign/makefile

The first one is because the compiler can't handle version numbers
greater than 255, so it won't matter when we switch to 1.0. At
least for a while. :) The last three wouldn't work with anything
in the definitions.
5. Follow the directions (xmkmf -a ; make ; make install) and
you're done!

Like I said, simple changes...maybe someone can work out how to make
the fixes to the makefiles from this. This does work though; all the
demos I have run, along with the application I am currently working
on, work as expected. If anyone has trouble, just let me know, and
I'll make a feeble attempt at helping. ;)

                                        Reed

Dr. Reed L. Riddle
Assistant Director of Whole Earth Telescope Operations
Iowa State University Department of Physics & Astronomy
Email: drriddle@qwest.net
Homepage: http://www.iitap.iastate.edu/~riddle/

"This life has been a test. If it had been an actual life, you would
  have received actual instructions on where to go and what to do."
                                 -- Angela Chase, "My so-called life"