Re: XForms: Threads

From: spl@eggshell.ucsd.edu
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 09:38:54 EDT

    > I need to update a drawing quicly, and so not to do it within
    > the quite slow (cause it's a big app :)) fl_check_forms() routine.

    I don't understand why the size of the application would affect the
    speed of fl_check_forms(). It only responds to X events when they
    occur, otherwise it returns control to the application. Why would you
    say it's slow?

    > I'd like to let a subprocess - let's say a thread - draw in my
    > glcanvas. obviously, this seems to be a problem...

    Why?

    As far as threads and the GLcanvas go, if you're just updating the
    canvas itself, then I don't see a problem -- as long as you have the
    proper GLXContext, you should have no difficulties. For example, in
    an application of mine I create texture maps, polygons, and display
    lists in a background thread and use them in the main thread with no
    problems.

    Since the GLcanvas is basically just an X Window with not much in the
    way of embellishment, you should be able to do whatever you want to it
    from a thread.

    X itself and, hence, XForms can also be multithreaded through
    functions which were added several years ago in X11R6 but that doesn't
    seem to be an issue here.

                                                            spl