Re: XForms: XForms 1.0 Release Candidate 5.1

From: Peter S Galbraith (GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 11:09:50 EDT

    spl@ncmir.ucsd.edu wrote:

    > > > Hm. XFree86 4.2 (and maybe earlier) supports OpenGL natively. Why
    > > > have all those different pakages?
    > >
    > > The XFree86 4.2 support is in the xlibmesa-dev package. The others are
    > > for XFree86 3.X which we still include (because 4.2 doesn't support all
    > > the hardware supported in 3.X). I gather different packages support
    > > different hardware (but I have never used OpenGL...).
    > >
    > > I could build two binary packages (or more): One without OpenGL and
    > > another using the XFree86 4.2 OpenGL.
    >
    > It's hard for me to give a definitive answer since I'm not a Debian
    > user. Do the libraries have different names?

    Two packages would provide libforms.so, one compiled with OpenGL and the
    other without. You could install either packages, but not both (they
    would be declared to conflict with each other).

    > I suppose that we can go back to the old solution of allowing the user
    > to build the GL support themselves. I guess I see why TC did it that
    > way now.

    Your building scheme is fine, and allows the user to do just that very
    easily. It's just me who has to figure out how to best package it for
    Debian. I can start with a single non-OpenGL package anyway (since
    that's all we've ever provided) and upgrade my scheme later.

    In any case, it looks like there are no show-stoppers for RC5.1! Looks
    goog so far!

    Thanks,
    Peter