Re: XForms: [patch]: tooltips for composite objects

From: Angus Leeming (a.leeming@ic.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 07:19:29 EST

    On Wednesday 04 December 2002 3:47 pm, Angus Leeming wrote:
    > Things like the browser widget will not display tooltips as things stand
    > currently. It turned out to be trivially easy to fix; see attached patch.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Angus

    Sigh! That "trivial" comment smacks of hubris and, sure enough, the gods have
    wreaked their revenge.

    The above patch is fine in the case of a composite widget made up of simple
    ones. However, the browser widget is made up of a textbox widget (simple) and
    2 scrollbars (complex). If you try it out, you'll find that tooltips are
    displayed/hidden as you enter/leave the textbox. The scrollbars are missed
    entirely.

    Moreover, there's still a problem if a composite widget is made up of
    multiple simple ones. The tooltip is found and therefore displayed --- great!
    However, moving the pointer within the composite widget, entering and leaving
    its children, will cause the tooltip to be displayed-hidden-displayed etc.

    The attached patch is the general solution. Tooltips are displayed/hidden as
    you enter/leave the parent widget. A check is needed when leaving child
    widgets --- if the pointer is still within the encompassing parent, then the
    tooltip is not hidden.

    I'm not advocating putting this in 1.0final, but all has been tested
    thoroughly and found to work perfectly. Steve, I'll badger you about shoving
    it in the source thereafter ;-)

    Angus