XForms: Future xforms development

From: Angus Leeming (a.leeming@ic.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 06:51:07 EST

    Steve, how do you see future development of xforms panning out? At present it
    seems to be stagnating somewhat. That may seem churlish, given that you only
    released 1.0final over the weekend, but it isn't meant to be. I'm merely
    pointing out the reality of a release that occurred 6 months after you said
    something along the lines of "absolutely, definitely 1.0 will be released
    next Friday." I don't recall toooooo much new code going in in the interim.

    I get the feeling from this list that there's no great appetite to change
    xforms greatly. What there is works well and people are basically happy with
    it. However, it does contain a number of bugs. Most are small and are
    trivially simple to fix. Some less so.

    I really think that you should roll out a cvs tree so that those interested
    in ironing out these bugs can live on the bleeding edge. Not that I envisage
    this edge being very sharp. Continual advancement rather than revolution.

    I also think that we should develop a culture where proposed patches are
    discussed and refined. To that end I append my list of what I consider to be
    bugs in the current source. 10 bugs is hardly very many and of these only 2
    or 3 require a considerable amount of work.

    In many cases, I've mentioned many of them on this list before. I have often
    posted sample patches to this list that "cured" the problem to some extent.
    For sure, many of these patches were sub-optimal, but the resulting
    discussion has, in most cases, been nil. Zip. Nada.

    IMO, that's not the sign of a healthy development process, hence my desire to
    know your vision of the future.

    As a carrot to go with this stick, I also feel the LyX has a few home-grown
    widgets that could be rolled into the main xforms source. Specifically, I'm
    thinking of a combox widget. The current code is written in C++, but it
    shouldn't be too difficult to rejig it as a proper xforms composite widget
    and roll it into fdesign also.

    Best regards,
    Angus

    (README-xformbugs)

    o The slider and counter widgets should discard more mouse events when the
    mouse button is pressed continuously. Ie, they should react to every 10th
    event or so or use a timer. Currently, they are almost impossible to use on a
    fast machine.

    See sample patch
    http://bob.usuhs.mil/mailserv/list-archives/xforms-archive/0505.html

    A timer would be better than this, providing consistent behaviour across
    different machines. The time interval should be tunable via
            fl_set_slider_discard_interval(FL_OBJECT * ob, unsigned int interval);
            fl_set_counter_discard_interval(FL_OBJECT * ob, unsigned int interval);

    o xforms should pass the XEvent to the XWorkArea handler on an FL_DRAW event.
    That way, we'll be able to make use of this info to redraw only the part of
    the window that has changed.

    See sample patch
    http://bob.usuhs.mil/mailserv/list-archives/xforms-archive/0285.html

    o the xforms image loader should fail gracefully if it fails to load a weird
    xpm file.

    o xforms should be able to load png images natively.

    o fl_adjust_form_size should be split into two, allowing me to discard a
    large chunk of xforms_resize.C

    o The browser widget should display tooltips.

    Proposed patch at
    http://bob.usuhs.mil/mailserv/list-archives/xforms-archive/0518.html

    o you cannot switch between two menus without closing the first menu
    first (one annoying mouse click too much).

    o the problem with clicking on Edit menu when File is open.
    JMarc reported it in this thread:
    http://bob.usuhs.mil/mailserv/list-archives/xforms-archive.2000/0529.html

    and analyzed it here:
    http://bob.usuhs.mil/mailserv/list-archives/xforms-archive.2000/0643.html

    o xforms should swallow null keyevents. They occur during composition of
    multi-byte chars. The problem was reported and a solution proposed here:

    http://bob.usuhs.mil/mailserv/list-archives/xforms-archive/0530.html

    o xforms should pass FL_KEYRELEASE events to the widgets. Currently they are
    swallowed.

    o The keyboard event handling code in do_keyboard is unnecessarily weird. The
    result from the user point of view is that xforms does weird things when
    xke->state is not null (the modifier keys Control, Shift or Alt are pressed
    as well as some other key).

    It handles this stuff well enough internally (fl_keyboard) but the present
    code means that new widgets must be unnecessarily complex. All that is needed
    it to pass the keysym and xev to fl_handle_form from do_keyboard and thence
    to fl_keyboard. Instead, xforms passes keybuf char by char.

    The problem was described here
    http://bob.usuhs.mil/mailserv/list-archives/xforms-archive/0525.html

    It should be possible to come up with an elegant, LyX-like solution to the
    current mess. Ie, replace the contents of fl_keyboard with something similar
    to XLyXKeySym.C.