Re: XForms: Future xforms development

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 11:42:58 EST

    On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Steve Lamont wrote:

    > It may be that I am not the right person for this job, inasmuch as my
    > professional responsibilities continue to evolve and my collaborative
    > projects continue to proliferate.
    >
    > If it is the group's consensus that someone else should assume these
    > responsibilities and there is a nominee, I will bow to that consensus.

    > I am chastened.

    I cannot see it -- I am really happy with your efforts, Steve.

    This is not anyone's day job -- it is classic 'ship when it is
    right, not to a schedule' Open Source development. Stop
    beating yourself up to no end.

    Let's be frank here -- getting matters to this point has been
    a tremendous accomplishment -- I _greatly_ appreciate Steve's
    effort and interface in getting the code to a GPL status. And
    the fixup work afterward.

    A year ago, I was watching and hoping that the code would
    indeed GPL -- that Steve's persistence got it to that state is
    a major accomplishment.

    Once the code is free (as it is now), any one of us can set up
    a fork, a CVS, a bonsai, or whatever, and maintain and
    advocate a private tree to add features; or submit diff's ;
    or set up a non-primary testing tree.

    Seeing patches to the list or notice of private trees with
    proposed patches for testing would far outweigh yak-yak-ing to
    the mailing list, in my opinion.

    My $ 0.02

    -- Russ herrold