Re: XForms: Future xforms development

From: David Scriven (davidwriter@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 13:35:11 EST

     --- Steve Lamont <spl@ncmir.ucsd.edu> wrote:

    > > I cannot see it -- I am really happy with
    > your efforts, Steve.
    >
    > Please, folks. I wasn't fishing for pats on
    > the back (or kicks in the
    > tush, for that matter :-)), just thinking out
    > loud.
    >
    > spl

    Steve, I'd like to echo the appreciation for your
    efforts - we wouldn't be at this point without
    you. All of here have 'life beyond XForms' (at
    least I hope so!), so I don't think that anyone
    else would be able to devote all that much more
    time to it.

    I suspect that the reason that Angus is not
    getting any feedback is that there are very few
    of us actively developing under XForms, so you
    are not getting the 'critical mass' that drives
    development.

    There are all sorts of reasons for this - for
    example Red Hat dropped XForms from its
    PowerTools because it was not open source (is
    there some way to encourage them to add it to
    their distro now that it is Open Source?) Also
    0.89 was quite buggy, and its
    functionality/reliability varied from platform to
    platform and that turned a lot of people off.

    Secondly, if I knew nothing about XForms and
    wanted to get started I would probably end up on
    the XForms home page, which is horribly out of
    date, has broken links and links to 0.89, but
    none to version 1.

    My point is that if we want XForms to survive we
    have to attract users. We have to make it easy to
    for new users to get the software and the
    documentation so that they can be up and running
    quickly.

    To this end, I'd be prepared to help sorting out
    the documentation and the website if you need the
    help.

    David Scriven