Re: XForms: Today's commits

From: Peter S Galbraith (GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 14:13:23 EDT

    Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> wrote:

    > I'm far from being an expert on dynamic libraries.
    >
    > If there are new functions for new programs, and you compile a binary
    > using these and install it on a second computer, then the library soname
    > must be changed because otherwise the library on the second computer
    > might not have those new functions.
    >
    > The XForms soname is currently:
    >
    > $ objdump -p /usr/X11R6/lib/libforms.so.1.0 | grep SONAME
    > SONAME libforms.so.1
    >
    > e.g. lyx looks for libforms.so.1 at runtime:
    >
    > $ ldd /usr/bin/lyx | grep libforms
    > libforms.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libforms.so.1 (0x4008a000)
    >
    > It seems to me that if you introduce an incompatible change, that will
    > need to change (maybe to libforms.so.1.1?) in order to force
    > applications to be rebuilt. I could be wrong...

    I was wrong...

    e.g. glibc is forward-compatible and not backward-compatible and doesn't
    change its soname all the time.

    I think I could handle such a change in packaging. All packages built
    against libforms after the upgrade would depend on that version of the
    XForms package (or better). (It's done using a debian/shlibs file for
    the Debian users out there.)

    Peter