Re: XForms: Thinking out loud

From: Jean-Marc Lasgouttes (Jean-Marc.Lasgouttes@inria.fr)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 06:39:44 EDT

    Angus> # To subscribers of the xforms list from Angus Leeming
    Angus> <angus.leeming@btopenworld.com> :
    Angus> On Tuesday 15 April 2003 8:46 am, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
    >> # To subscribers of the xforms list from Jean-Marc Lasgouttes >
    Angus> I'm currently doing my best to move the compilation process
    Angus> from Imakefile to automake/autoconf. I've got a lot further
    Angus> than I thought I would but (JMarc beware!) I do have a couple
    Angus> of questions for later.
    >> Feel free to ask...

    Angus> Question 1. In config/configure.ac I have:
    Angus> AC_INIT(xforms,1.1cvs,xforms@bob.usuhs.mil)
    Angus> AC_PREREQ(2.52)

    That's OK

    Angus> dnl AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR(src/main.C)

    You can use
    AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR(lib/forms.c)

    Angus> Ditto, config/configure.in begins: AC_INIT(src/main.C)

    I think that you should simply drop support for autoconf 2.13. This
    only matters for developpers, anyway. And if you keep the configure
    script in cvs, only people fiddling with autoconf will really need it.

    Angus> What _should_ I have, given that xforms is a library, not an
    Angus> executable.

    This does not matter. Autoconf knows about packages only, and the fact
    that you build a program or a list of groceries in southern france is
    not relevant.

    >> Do you use libtool too?

    Angus> I do. I have so far simply hacked down LyX's configure stuff.
    Angus> Ie, I have included all the tests LyX makes that xforms also
    Angus> requires. I have not yet considered adding xforms-specific
    Angus> tests.

    Angus> I'll get the hacked down stuff working properly (all that
    Angus> remains is to rewrite LYX_PROG_CXX as the rather simpler
    Angus> XFORMS_PROG_C) and then post it to the LyX list; the licences
    Angus> of the two projects are different, so I'll need approval of all
    Angus> authors etc, etc...

    I think you can just use AC_PROG_C for now. There is a lot of cruft
    and overdone stuff in LyX configure script, I think (and I am to blame
    for a lot of that...).

    Another solution is to just use autoscan to produce an initial
    configure.ac. There is a lot of useless stuff in there (X11 fonts),
    but you can remove a lot of things easily).

    I attach the result just too see what it contains

    JMarc