Re: XForms: Red Hat 9 & XForms - solved

From: Angus Leeming (angus.leeming@btopenworld.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 06:46:40 EDT

    On Friday 18 April 2003 4:48 am, David Scriven wrote:

    > The problem related to there being old versions
    > of the libraries libforms.a, libflimage.a etc.
    > which I had compiled with gcc 2.96 (the version
    > that comes with 7.3).

    Glad you resolved the problem.

    > The problem really comes from the fact that
    > a 'make clean' doesn't remove the old libraries
    > and they were referred to during the compile.

    Yes, this is a PITA. It is not a problem when using autoconf/automake to build
    the makefile and libtool to manage the compiled libraries.

    > Whatever methodology for compiling is used in the
    > future needs to work around this.

    There will be a 'make uninstall' target when I commit the autoconf/automake
    stuff. However, experience suggests that it is not very robust, so I wouldn't
    rely on it. Instead, I'd use the 'make rpmdist' target to build an rpm and
    then use rpm itself to do the package management for you. That is, after all,
    what it's there for ;-)

    Regards,
    Angus