Re: XForms: another menu bug, I think...

Rob Fletcher (rpf1@york.ac.uk)
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:43:28 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Steve Lamont wrote:

> I'm all for just adding
>
> fl_set_menu_timeout( int timeout_sec );
>
> At absolute worst, an environment variable or application resource
> could be used.
>
> Diddling with the forms.h file is (IMHO) the wrong way to go. First
> of all, it breaks the largely consistent API design. It also
> contributes to namespace pollution (again, almost *always* a Bad
> Thing). Finally, it would be hard to implement that way. If you
> include forms.h in several files (quite common) then aren't you going
> to get several instantiations and initializations of the same global?
> A lot of loader/linker programs will barf on that.

On reflection, perhaps your are right here SPL - having just dealt
with a nasty bit of (someone elses) code which caused the link/loader
to barf something awful wrt globals ...

I guess I was thinking of a way to hide it away so the default action
(whatever TC decides) is there and it would be hard for the casual
user to diddle with!

I withdraw the idea of stuffing the header!

R.