(Fwd) Re: XForms: File selector and Linux ( 2.0.31 )

John Prinos (t47851@perf2.dehavilland.ca)
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 09:28:01 -0500

This is a reply that Laurent Guglielmi received from Edgar Greuter concerning
the broken fselector in the Linux 2.0.31 kernel (which is released currently in
Redhat 5.0)

My question is whether or not this T.C. knows about this since there was never
a response from him on this thread.

Should individual XForms users do what is described below as needed or should
we wait for the XForms authors to come up with something themselves?

J0hn Prinos

--- Forwarded mail from Laurent.Guglielmi@cdf.in2p3.fr

Laurent.Guglielmi@cdf.in2p3.fr wrote:

> Xforms 0.88, Linux 2.0.31
>
> I have a problem whem using the file selector :
> The file names do not appear, I can see only a large number of lines, all
> beginning with "D" and nothing else.
>
> This does not occur with a previous version of linux ( 2.0.27 ).
> And does not occur on HP-UX nor DEC OSF.
>
> Any idea ?
>
> L.Guglielmi

You forgot to mention that you are using glibc (aka libc.so.6). The code for
fl_get_dirlist() used
by fl_show_fselector() seems to use parts of the internal structure of the
DIR-pointer provided
by opendir() that changed from libc-5 to glibc.The appended file listdir.o was
created with this
sequence of commands:
ar x libforms.a listdir.o
ar x libc.a opendir.o closedir.o readdir.o [[ libc.a is from
libc-5.4.44.bin.tar.gz ]]
ld -r -o new-listdir.o listdir.o opendir.o closedir.o readdir.o
bpe new-listdir.o
changed references to __libc_xxxdir and xxxdir into __libc_xxxDIR and
xxxDIR for
xxx in {open, close, read} [[ strip refused to --strip-symbol xxxdir
:-(
]]
mv new-listdir.o listdir.o
Thus it includes the old version of the directory-code from libc-5. The rest of
your program
linked with listdir.o and -lforms uses the new structures from glibc (as
described
in dirent.h).

- Edgar

--