Re: XForms: three questions

Stephen Langer (langer@cam.nist.gov)
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 09:52:56 -0500

<zhao@bloch.phys.uwm.edu> :

> On Feb 20, 10:32am, Stephen Langer wrote:
> >
> > (1) Browser double clicks
> ... What this really means for the application
> program is that double click is not appropriate to do things
> that are very different from a single click.

There are things that are not "very different", yet still can't
be handled by the single-double-single click callback sequence.

> In reality
> I am not sure this actually work. I will definitely
> look into this. What probably will happen is a new option
> to select how double click should be handled with the
> current behavior being hte default.

Thank you! That would be great.

> > (2) Deleting and freeing grouped objects
> there are some inconsistencies in group object handling. To
> delete a group, use fl_delete_group() (there is NO reason
> why fl_delete_object() would not work, but it doesn't,
> it is just the way things currently are). will try to fix.

fl_delete_group() isn't in forms.h 0.88. It's in the library, though. Does
it delete the objects in the group as well as deleting the group itself? I
assume that the group and the objects in it still have to be freed explicitly
and individually?

> > (3) Spurious callbacks
>
> > I have input objects in groups. The forms have a bunch of buttons,
> > sliders, and canvases on them, and the groups contain buttons, inputs,
> > canvases, and text. **When a group is hidden, the callback for the
> > first input in the group is invoked.** dbx reports that
> > fl_hide_object() is calling lose_focus(), and lose_focus() is calling
> > the input object's callback.
>
> This particular behavior is intended although as everything else
> in the library, I am open to suggestions. xforms' input object
> detects when to call the object's callback by watching focus change,
> and losing focus certainly indicates a focus change. I guess I should've
> done a better job documenting this.

I didn't see this behavior in 0.81, and also I don't see it for all
objects in 0.88. Some of my groups have more than one input object. When
the group is hidden, only the callback for the FIRST input object is
called. This behavior is consistent throughout my program, but since
I can't construct a simple demonstration, I suppose I'll have to keep
looking for a bug...

Thanks for all your help!

-- Steve

-- Steve