Re: XForms: ColormapFull

Lothar Esser (esser@chop.swmed.edu)
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 10:10:23 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Giorgos Petasis wrote:

> "ColormapFull. Using substitutions" means that you have run out of available
> colors from your xserver. Probably, you are using a server having 256 colors...
> (you can check that by giving "xwininfo", clicking on the root window and
> look for depth. It should be 8...) Probably the reason is the pixmaps that
> you added in your pixmaps buttons. Be carefull, xforms predifined colors
> (arround 30...) + number of colors allocated with fl_mapcolor + number of
> different colors in all pixmaps < 256. If this sum is more than 256, then
> you will always have problems, even with private colormap.
> (I hope it helps :) )...
> gpp.

Dear Mr. Petasis,

thank you very much for your help. Indeed there is a depth value of 8.
If anyone is interested, my problem was that my added pixmap buttons
were all images rendered with povray so they all required 256 colours
which of course exhausted the colour map. Since the buttons are small
there is no need to have 256 colours. I then drastically reduced the
amount of colours with ImageMagick's convert program and this solved my
problem. ( convert -colors 4 Stop_pixmap.xpm Stop_pixmap.xpm ). There
is of course a small loss in quality but I can live with that.
Thanks again for the hint. I appreciate it.

Lothar Esser

Dr. Lothar Esser
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.