Re: XForms: fl_set_form_position doesn't work as expected

Robert S. Mallozzi (mallors@crazyhorse.msfc.nasa.gov)
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 16:01:25 -0600 (CST)

On 1 Apr, George R. Welch wrote:

>> I suspect the problem relates to XForms's notion of a "main form" and
>> your window mangler's treatment of the WM_COMMAND property. You may
>> have some success in placing forms by fiddling with the main form-ness
>> of the forms. Try calling fl_set_app_mainform() for the form before
>> you create it -- this may (or may not) help.
>
> I don't think it has anything to do with this. I have tried
> every possible fiddling with it I could, to no avail.
>

>> Refer to the manual, Chapter 4, "Doing Interaction," for a full
>> discussion.
>
> I have read every single word so may times I can recite the
> whole thing. Is there *really no way* to set a form at a given location
> on the screen?!?!?! How can this be????

I think the problem is that the behavior is window manager dependent.
There is no way to ensure that all window managers will place the
windows consistently. For example, some WMs allow "interactive
placement". Who takes precedence then - the code that specifies
the placement, or the user that specifed they want to place the window?

Anyway, I'm a bit fuzzy on the whole issue, but I think I'm correct
in saying that the "error" is beyond the scope of xforms. Maybe
TC or another X wizard can clarify...

--
Robert S. Mallozzi
http://cspar.uah.edu/~mallozzir/

_________________________________________________ To unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe" to xforms-request@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil or see http://bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil/mailserv/xforms.html XForms Home Page: http://bragg.phys.uwm.edu/xforms List Archive: http://bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil/mailserv/list-archives/