Re: XForms: Anyone out there?

Tristan Savatier (tristan@mpegtv.com)
Thu, 03 Sep 1998 02:41:25 -0700

Ian Leonard wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have posted three question to this group with no responses - anyone getting
> this?
>
> I have upgraded to RedHat Linux 5.1. They ship libc.so.6 which is gcclib (I
> think). The shared libforms.so requres libc.so.5. Confusion follows and my
> apps crash when using system().
>
> Will there be a version for libc.so.6?

ftp://bragg.phys.uwm.edu/pub/xforms/linux/elf/

Look for the glibc version.

Yes, I know about the problem. its is a bug in the redhat 5.x
distribution. The version of libforms.so in their contrib package is
compiled for libc.so.5, but the dynamic loader will link it
with libc.so.6 (aka glibc) if it does not find libc.so.5.

And unfortunately libc.so.5 are
libc.so.6 not compatible (different directory structures), which
creates problems. You can probably set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
so that libc.so.5 will be found, but it is better to get the
glibc version of libforms.

-t