Re: XForms: Keeping objects on top

Ian Leonard (ian@eonsw.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 09:27:44 +0100 (BST)

On 09-Sep-98 Steve Lamont wrote:
># :
>
>> I want to have a little pop-up browser. I make it visible, make a
>> selection and then hide it.
>
>> The problem is that if it pops up over a button, the button is
>> raised to the top when the mouse pointer moves over. How can I stop
>> this from happening?
>
> I presume by "pop-up" you mean that you have an Browser object that is
> hidden on the form until you want it, then you do fl_show_object() to
> make it appear.
>
> You'll have to hide objects under the Browser before you pop the
> browser with fl_hide_object().

Yes. This is correct.

> However, you might want to reconsider your interface design. Look
> into using the Folder object. It allows you to conserve screen real
> estate by making visible only the objects of interest at any one
> moment. You may change folders either under user or program control.

This doesn't help. There's only one good feature of MSWindows/Visual Basic
(although it doesn't work very well) and that is the combo box.

To give make a similar feature, I use an input box, a button with a down arrow
symbol and a hidden browesr. The user clicks on the arrow button, a list of
selections pops and he/she picks one and the browser is then hidden.

Of course, the browser may welll appear over other objects.

I have now found that it is the order in which objects are added to the form
that is important so I can get by.

I guess it would be nice to be able to re-order objects.

I have not seen anything like the combo/list box feature in xforms. I find
them very useful so it seems a strange ommisson. I guess there must be another
way of doing it.

Something for the future maybe?

--
Ian

Ian Leonard eMail: ian@eonsw.demon.co.uk Phone Fax: +44 (0)1865 434757 Fax: +44 (0)1865 434758 19 Stapleton Road Headington, Oxford, OX3 7LX, UK

Please ignore spelling and punctuation - I did.

_________________________________________________ To unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe" to xforms-request@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil or see http://bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil/mailserv/xforms.html XForms Home Page: http://bragg.phys.uwm.edu/xforms List Archive: http://bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil/mailserv/list-archives/