XForms: XForms, cursors and others (fwd)

Joao Filipe Ferreira (jfilipe@alumni.dee.uc.pt)
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 18:21:27 +0000 (WET)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 17:57:10 +0000 (WET)
From: Joao Filipe Ferreira <jfilipe@alumni.dee.uc.pt>
To: zhao@laue.phys.uwm.edu
Subject: XForms, cursors and others

Anyhow, the project I'm working on is an application to be used on
the calibrating of a system, the user basing himself in several
point selections he makes on two camera images (gray shaded, StaticGray
256 shades type) displayed on a canvas object. I am trying to adapt a
widget called "scale", used in the "xmag" program (included in the X11R6
package) that magnifies a portion of the screen and displays that
magnification on a window, to my program, in order to offer the user
better chances of chosing the right point in the low-resolution images
used.

Three problems arise:

- Firstly, the colormap. Is there anyway in XForms to make the two
windows, i.e. the one with the original and the one with the
magnified version, share the same colormap? Please give me
a simple XForms solution, if there is such a thing, as reading
the XWindows System manuals has already given me a headache.
Time is crucial!

- Secondly, defining a suitable cursor. I would like a rectangular
cursor with the size of the region to be magnified; unfortunatly
I tried to read the "cursors.c" demo source and understood very
little - most of it uses things not explained on the online
manual. Any help here?

- Finaly, the positioning of the forms. All the examples and
the online manual always position the forms at the center of
the screen. Thus, I fail to understand how one may position
them elsewhere. It is very important for me to do so, since I
would like to create a system with multiple windows/forms. Any
sugestions?

I need an answer until the end of the week to be succesful, and I would
be deeply grateful if you manage to send it to me before that deadline. If
it happens that there is no way of doing so, please answer me anyway -
sooner or later I will use the information anyhow.