Re: XForms: fdesign and symbols

Joao Filipe Ferreira (jfilipe@alumni.dee.uc.pt)
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:05:54 +0000 (WET)

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Dick Middleton wrote:

> Xforms allows one to define graphics symbols with arbitrary names
> (fl_add_symbol). Unfortunately fdesign does not allow them to be used.

Well, I have used "@" with fdesign for some buttons and it worked. I am
not sure if you mean that fdesign never allows symbols, even standard
ones, to be used or otherwise. If you mean the former, your are wrong.
In that case, maybe your fdesign is an obsolete version?...

> There is some tricky code which removes a leading "@" if the symbol is not a
> standard one.

I am not sure I understand what you mean to say here, either. From what
I've read in the printed manual (section 3.12 - symbols) you can add
custom symbols with fl_add_symbol and a drawing function drawit; anyhow,
either using built-in or custom symbols, you must refer to them with "@" -
since "@" follows the special characters' rules (double character to get
that character literally - in this case "@@" gives "@"), I fail to even
see the point in bypassing this procedure.

> If one insists on putting an "@" at the start of a label
> fdesign prefixes it with a space.

Ok... You've got me there. I have only used symbols for buttons so far,
not for labels, so I wouldn't know. What I do know is that that can happen
if you make a mistake on your reference to the symbol you want - an error
would simultaneously be reported to stderr, "bad symbol" if I remember
correctly.

Hoping I've helped in any way,
JFC