Re: XForms: Xforms on windows95

Alberto Barsella (Alberto.Barsella@univ-lille1.fr)
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 15:04:18 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Bruno Anquine wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a general question. Was someone able to
> use the Xforms on windows95?

Yes! I used it to create a port of my linux program under win95.

> If yes, what compiler do you use and which X11
> library is needed.

I used the environment which comes with the Cygwin Project:

/cgi-bin/exit-to?http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/

which includes a fairly recent egcs compiler (my program is something
like C++ :). Compared to a full linux installation there are several
libraries missing, but you can fetch the sources and recompile if needed
(the regex package I had to recompile).
Check the "related sites" link for pointers to some precompiled stuff.
You then need the X11 client libraries, found at:

http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/

libXpm is not included, but there's one coming with the XForms
distribution. Make sure to pick the fixed cygwin1.dll from that page as
well.
Then you need an X server for win95. There's a good list at:

http://www.rahul.net/kenton/xsites.html

I personally use the demo version of X-win32 (it's limited, but I do all
the developement on linux, so I just need the server to test if everything
runs):

/cgi-bin/exit-to?http://www.starnet.com/product.htm

Do not bother trying the free Xserver from MIX because it's unable to deal
with the XForms controls (at least not with the ones I use), resulting in
a dead application....

Hope this helps,
Alberto

--
Alberto BARSELLA
PGP fingerprint = 13 3F 22 D2 0B 0A D3 25  F1 89 FE B5 82 AD 75 2A

_________________________________________________ To unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe" to xforms-request@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil or see http://bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil/mailserv/xforms.html XForms Home Page: http://bragg.phys.uwm.edu/xforms List Archive: http://bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil/mailserv/list-archives/