RE: XForms: test version

Ian Leonard (ian@eonsw.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:55:32 -0000 (GMT)

On 09-Mar-99 Mehalick RE (Richard) at MSXSSC wrote:
># To subscribers of the xforms list from "Mehalick RE (Richard) at MSXSSC"
># <RM186061@MSXSSC.shell.com> :
>
>> BTW: I studied physics in college and know FORTRAN and C, I fail to see
>> why
>> programmers have a need to constantly invent new programming languages
>> that are
>> bound to be forgotten, Java, TCL/TK, Python, C++, Objective C, SQL, Perl,
>> BASIC,
>> VB; show me something that can't be done in C, numerical stuff is easier
>> in
>> FORTRAN (lots of libraries). [sorry, just venting]
>>
> [Mehalick RE (Richard) at MSXSSC]
> It isn't a matter of what can't be done with C, its a matter of what is the
> best tool for the job. Those of us who studied Computer Science in college
> take pride in writing code that is supportable. I am sorry to say, but most
> of the code I have seen written by programmers who studied different
> disciplines was not very supportable.
>
> Sorry, just venting.

I agree 100%. There's Computer Programming and then there's Software
Engineering. The differencies are easily defined but the pressure to produce
software is such that they are easily forgotten. It is, therefore, useful to
use a tool that is geared to the task in hand. This a big topic....

--
Ian

Ian Leonard

eMail: ian@eonsw.demon.co.uk Phone Fax: +44 (0)1865 434757 Fax: +44 (0)1865 434758 19 Stapleton Road Headington, Oxford, OX3 7LX, UK

Please ignore spelling and punctuation - I did. _________________________________________________ To unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe" to xforms-request@bob.usuhs.mil or see http://bob.usuhs.mil/mailserv/xforms.html XForms Home Page: http://bragg.phys.uwm.edu/xforms List Archive: http://bob.usuhs.mil/mailserv/list-archives/