Re: XForms: Image Support

T.C. Zhao (tc_zhao@yahoo.com)
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 05:57:30 -0700 (PDT)

--- Andrew Davison <davison@caspc1.etl.go.jp> wrote:
> # To subscribers of the xforms list from Andrew Davison
> <davison@caspc1.etl.go.jp> :
>
> I have been playing with the image support in the new test release of
> XForms and so far I am very impressed (it is easy to use and seems
> fast).
>
> Just a few questions/points:
>
> 1. I noticed some strange behaviour when trying to read ppm images:
> I get a segmentation fault if I call
> flimage_load("test.ppm");
> straight off, but it works correctly if either
> flimage_enable_pnm();
> or
> flimage_is_supported("test.ppm")
> is called first. I thought from the manual that ppm/pgm/pbm
> formats
> should be enabled by default?

Yes, they are or at least supposed to be. Which platform you're on ?
I'll double check. It's possible that your version is an earlier
version that did not have all its act together.

> 2. I couldn't get the PGM greyscale format to work at all, either for
> read or write. Is this implemented yet?

Did you try ibrowse demo ? I am (almost) certain that I ran that
before releasing the test version. If ibrowse fails in your platform,
please let me know.

> 3. When using 8-bit greyscale images, must my 8-bit data be copied
> into the unsigned short **gray array or is there a byte grayscale
> array available somehow?

Unfortunately no, at least for now. I would think that
copying some data should not be too big a deal speedwise these days,
a bit of a hassle maybe, but 8bit in my world just does not
have enough resolution to be useful.

> 4. Why does flimage_getmem() not appear in the header file forms.h?
> (It links OK though).
bug and will be corrected.

Thanks for the report.