Re: XForms: counter with wrap around?

Rob Fletcher (rpf1@york.ac.uk)
Fri, 7 May 1999 15:19:20 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Steve Lamont wrote:

<blah blah ... but good blah blah>

> Again in my opinion, one of the main attractions of XForms is that it
> is relatively lightweight (if any X application can be so considered).
>
> Adding features that will only be rarely used simply adds to software
> bloat, which, unless you're from Redmond, Washington, is generally
> considered a Bad Thing. :-)

I agree. Keeping Xforms lightweight is sensible. Being able to extend
it in a reasonably friendly way is the "way to go". As Steve says,
a "creative eye" is often all that is required.

Also, by keeping the code down, you most likely allow it to cooperate
properly with other graphical API's ( OpenGL of course and I have also
successfully used the AVS Toolmaster AgX graphing libraries).

The hardest thing I have come across is to make other systems which need
"event loops" to interwork. (e.g. Xforms+SGIvideo+OpenGL, or
Xforms+Interbase).

Cheers,

Rob.